Monday, October 31, 2005

The (Too Much) Information Age

As I sit here tonight, perusing through my collection of 3136 of my favorite songs for something to listen too, I'm wondering if perhaps the ever-shrinking, ever-cheapening, and ever-quickening megabyte is spoiling our appreciation of art, news, memories, etc. etc. Are we becoming more diverse or more scattered as a culture (and by "culture" I mean those who Google, listen to music, and have digital photos of their parents)?

I find myself rapidly developing an interest in late-night Dutch radio, as presented by iTunes. The line-up streaming from OngekendTalent.nl seems to be primarily comprised of sappy lounge songs (all of which sound eerily familiar as though they have a close American cousin buried somewhere in the top 100 charts), and deeply bizarre dub-house/trance spun by some 'rolling' Dutch DJ at some insane hour. This interest in Dutch radio will fade quicker than the sharpest tangent, but tomorrow I will again venture into my music collection in a desperate attempt to scratch that itchy desire for musical bliss.

Long gone are the days when two or three good albums could fill a summer and much of a fall with enough memories and good times to be filed in the long-term memory bank. Gone too are the days when a single photo could summarize with just enough significance an occasion of any magnitude - a wedding, a holiday, a trip, etc. I challenge you (all 1-4 of you readers) to find a single photo in your collection of digital photos that speaks as clear as a Rockwell painting of a situation/event. Here's my best attempt:

(Me, Tia, and Georgie had been driving all afternoon on our way home from Ottawa, and out of exhausted desperation we found a little dive of a motel in the White Mountains to sleep in for the night)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home